Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Peacock or Keats and Yeats are on your side


“The innocent and the beautiful have no enemy but time.”
~William Butler Yeats

“A thing of beauty is a joy forever: 
its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness;”
~John Keats

The peacock has had many representations in art since antiquity. As a symbol its meanings can change from culture to culture. It has represented luck, immortality, resurrection and royalty as well as vanity and superficiality. When found in modern design and décor it is often representative of elegance and beauty. I love the colors and textures that can be worked into a peacock design as well as the use of flowing curves. This peacock is another example of cut paper collage. I have used colored paper, Washi paper and various scraps on lacquered wood to create two peacocks. A third is on its way. Because it was digitally enhanced I was able to create another version in purple.



“All art is quite useless”
~Oscar Wilde

3 comments:

  1. From the title I thought you were going to have the peacocks in a cemetery or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. Maybe I will, maybe I will. It was more of an association thing. Yeats wrote the poem The Peacock and Yeats makes me think of the Smiths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete