Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mountain Man

 This piece was created about a year ago when I started trying my hand at digital images. The inspiration came from one of my favorite songs by one of my dearest friends: Candy Craig's Mountain Man. If you have never listened to Candy Craig, please have a listen now... http://us.myspace.com/candygirl . 

Her voice reminds me of the memory of clear summer day in childhood: beautiful, sweet and filled with a little bit of meloncholy and nostalgia. Which is pretty darn hard to capture in a logo type drawing. I immediately saw a gentle, hippy, kawaii type Mountain Man rather than a rugged hunter type. A wayward lumber jack maybe? This is one of my first digital images and I can't wait to get started editing it again. 


A few weeks ago while talking about childhood toys, I made an interesting discovery about my picture of the Mountain Man. Some of my favorite toys when I was small were handed down or given to me by my big sisters. Sorry about breaking your Johnny West dolls L.  One set of dolls that I adored were a happy hippy family called The Sunshine family. They had a craft store, which I never had, (I think my sister had that as they were her dolls first I believe) complete with pottery and spinning wheels. For whatever reason, the dad was my favorite. Here he is below.  

Sunshine Family Dad
When I look at my Mountain Man, I realize that the Sunshine family must be pretty hardwired into my subconcious because he is a bearded doppleganger of Steven Sunshine.  I guess I can now safely  blame my failures on the pottery wheel on the fact that I never had the craft store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment