Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mini Sculpture: Go big or go gnome!


Go big or go gnome?

I didn’t just title this post that, did I? Sorry but I couldn’t help myself. There is just something about writing a post on a mini gnome sculpture that begs for puns. So meet my gnomie, Gneddie, yep, I gnamed him too.



The thing is the title really isn’t that much of a pun; I began making tiny sculptures because I lived in tiny spaces. For a while there I moved pretty often. And by often, I mean enough to make the Johnny Cash song I’ve been everywhere sound like a list of my previous addresses. The big metal lawn sculptures that I’ve dreamed of making have just had to wait, as have the hand made ceramic lawn kitsch I can see so clearly in my mind. This means instead of going for larger pieces, I had to go for tiny treasures. So my gnomes are less lawn and more terrarium. The upside to tiny sculpture is that it’s portable and can go where you go. This means you may be far from home, but you don’t have to be far from gnome. What? You didn’t think I was just going to leave off the puns did you? 


No comments:

Post a Comment