Saturday, November 3, 2012

Folk Inspired


With the arrival of cooler weather here in NC we are saying goodbye to our green leaves; so, I’ll post this picture as a farewell to all the lovely greenery. It’s a mixed media work that was inspired by Russian folk art lacquer boxes. I love the look of bright colors against a black background and depictions of scenes from folk tales. As my good friend Liz used to say, “here comes the sappy part”; I like to think this picture is an image from a lost folk tale, or one that hasn’t been told yet. Shhh, don’t tell anyone that I’m probably a romantic at heart. 


The purpose of starting this blog is to find a way to showcase and curate some of my art into a unified body of work. I like to work in so many different medias that sometimes it seems like I am going in seven different directions with my work. For the last few years I have worked in clay, pencil, paper cut out, acrylic, collage and digital media. This piece is a pretty good representation of all of that. Really. Well except the clay. The tree branches are recycled paper bags (Thanks Trader Joe!) and the green is tissue paper. There is some origami paper in there too or it might have been old wrapping paper since I hoard the stuff. I really like how the texture came out. Now if I can only work in some clay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment