Monday, February 11, 2013

Be mine!

Love it or hate it this week millions will be celebrating Valentine's day. It seems that my friends and colleagues all have pretty strong reactions to the holiday meant to honor love and loved ones. Looking back on February 14th, my experiences have varied from wonderful to wretched and back. And ironically one of my favorite memories involves deciding to celebrate the saint day of two lesser known (and more credible) saints Cyril and Methodius who share February 14th as their Saint Day.

Now, I understand that Valentine's day has gotten pretty commercial. I get that it is a greeting card holiday where retailers attempt to bring sales back into the black by selling tacky, cheesy, and often ridiculous items. But, (full disclosure here) I love that part! Bring on the kitsch! The part I don't like is when paramours feel pressured to prove their love by spending large amounts of cash or else! Or when fantastic folks feel sad or lonely because they did not receive said kitsch. So in honor of all the pressured paramours and fantastic but lonely folks, a Valentine from me to you! Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment